Volunteer With Us
The Disabled Sailing Association of British Columbia, Victoria Branch is a volunteer driven organization. We rely upon volunteers to fill a variety of roles. As a volunteer for DSA Victoria, you could be companion sailing with a recreational sailor, crewing for a group sail, operating the safety boat while instructors conduct learn to sail lessons, helping to prepare boats during the pre and post-season, organizing fundraising and social events, and much more. These enriching experiences are a great way to meet new individuals, share your love of sailing with others, spend more time on or near the water and support a great program! We would appreciate it if you could spread the word!
Where you can help:
- On Water (Sailing and Boating experience is necessary)
- Sailing Companions*
- Safety Boat Operator*
- Program Support
- Events Organization
- Board of Directors
- Work Parties & Equipment Maintenance
- Communication Pieces & Photography (videos, storytelling, etc.)
- And much more!
*Experience necessary! Individuals wishing to companion sail with a sailor must be able to consistently demonstrate advanced sailing skills. Safety Boat Operators must possess their PCOC Certifications and be able to demonstrate safe power boat handling skills. The safety and experience of our sailors is our top priority – as such, an instructor or senior volunteer will make the final determination of whether you are qualified to sail with an individual.
Are you a member of the Canadian Forces?
Regular serving Military Members may benefit from the Special Leave for Community Affairs to volunteer with us. Members who have received C.O. approval may volunteer with us for a one-week period (which does not affect annual leave or pay). This program has benefits to both our program as well as the military community we are immersed in. Spend a week helping out our program! Contact Director of Athletic Programming, Amie Renaud by telephone or email (250-477-6314 ext. 202 or email@example.com)
Become a Volunteer
How to get started:
- Download our online application and submit to our partner agency Recreation Integration Victoria firstname.lastname@example.org (Hint: Make sure to save your application to your desktop before completing fields, and then include as attachment).
Once received, our partner agency’s Leisure Assistance (Volunteer) Coordinator will be in touch to conduct the next steps. RIV is DSA Victoria’s partner agency who handles the off-season logistics and administration of the program. Your volunteer paperwork will be handled by RIV’s Volunteer Coordinator, but everything else will be conducted through DSA Victoria’s Head Instructor or a member of the Board.
- Identify your interests and where your skills may best help us out.
- Orientation (Screening): To ensure the safety of our participants, we require all of our volunteers to provide references and complete a criminal record check. Volunteers will also need to fill out an oath of confidentiality and a medical release and waiver form.
- Arrange for your volunteer training session (not all volunteer roles will require this training session).
Questions about volunteering? Contact DSA Victoria’s Partner Agency at 250-477-6314