Recreation Integration Victoria is pleased to be an approved charity for the CHEK Charity Pledge Program in the GoodLife Fitness Victoria Marathon.
R.I.V. is looking for runners, wheelchair athletes, walkers or fundraisers to join team Equalizers and support our charity. Not a runner? You can still join the team or show your support for the Equalizers. Pledge one of our team members or collect pledges for our charity. Contact us to find out how you can contribute!
Our goal this year is to raise $10,000 to support to support our Summer Inclusion Services for children and teens with a disability.
- For many children, summer camp is an exciting time to enjoy recreational activities with their friends, but for families and programs, this may mean having to worry about their child receiving adequate support. Thanks to Recreation Integration Victoria’s Summer Inclusion Service, children with disabilities and special needs can attend the summer camp of their choosing with an RIV Inclusion Facilitator. For families this can be an incredible peace of mind, at no additional cost. For RIV summer staff, this means valuable training and an enriching experience that will follow them throughout their professional development. We need your support today to continue to make summer camp an experience to remember.
Know that when you cross that finish line on October 9th, you’ve assisted us in creating equity in our community and improving the quality of life of people with disabilities.
Talk to your friends, family, and associates about joining the Equalizers or pledging their support to those participating as an Equalizer on race day.
Read Faye’s Story
“That was then, this is now”. It’s a popular saying known by many. Please let me share my personal “then”, and my “now”.”Then” was 1976, I was 13 years old, had a crush on David Cassidy and my best friend’s name was Julie. I had already been through several surgeries to correct various skeletal considerations and had new crutches that I was getting used to. Regardless of my mom’s firm belief that I was capable of attending any summer camp for children, she met with opposition from the folks at community summer camps who believed it would not be successful to include a child with a disability into their programs. Read More
RACE DAY – SUNDAY, OCTOBER 9th, 2016
- Full Marathon (42 km)
- Half Marathon (21 km)
- 8 km Road Race
In 2012 the Equalizers raised almost $10,000 for our charity. The money raised helped to fund our volunteer program as well as our Summer Inclusion Services for children and teens with disabilities.
Each Equalizer team member will be eligible for draw prizes at the end of the race. The more pledges you collect, the better your chances of winning one of our fantastic draw prizes.
We encourage friends and family members of all our participants to join us on race day and cheer the team on!
HOW TO REGISTER
- Register on the Goodlife Fitness Victoria Marathon Website
- Select “I’m on a team” then choose “Open” from the “Select a Team Category“
- Search for team “Equalizers” in the search bar – this is our team name!
- Once you have joined our team, you will receive our team package that will include all the information about running for our team, collecting pledges, and receiving draw prizes.
Not ready to register but know that you want to run for the Equalizers? Please contact us so we can get you the information you need to be a member of our team.
Tel: (250) 477-6314
Fax: (250) 477-6046
VIDEO 2013 – Equalizers Team